Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Test Run

Last night we had another fun refinery scare! This time it was the refinery to the South of us (which is good, its farther away) but this time Will and I were home alone (last time we were at the hospital with Will). I heard a bunch of sirens and stuff but when I looked out I couldn't see anything and the refinery to the North of us wasn't running their emergency sirens so I figured it was a bad wreck and went on feeding Will. Then Ashley called me and told me so I flipped on the news and started to panic. The tank that caught fire was full and the projected if it was to blow it would be very very bad. Four people were severely burned and two were life flighted from the scene. They hadn't started to evacuate our side of the neighborhood yet but I decided to be safe and get out just in case.



It was really interesting how my brain stopped working and I flipped into panic mode. It was scary. I just wanted to get out and couldn't think what I needed. Usually I have the diaper bag ready and of course it wasn't so I had to run around grabbing things. Bella thought we were playing a game and chased me around, it was funny. In a matter of 10 min (not quick enough if it were to explode!) I got Will and Bella loaded up and in the car. As I am just about to jump in I look up and notice Will's emergency kit. HELLO! I grab it and throw it in the back seat and off we go.



It was a great test run. I really understood the importance of having your emergency kits. My mom has always been a huge emergency kit buff since the Teton Dam broke and she experienced similar things. We always thought she was a little over board but I COMPLETELY understand now. Its not that scary when its just you, an adult, we can suffer. But having a baby changes everything. Shout out to Grandma B! Thanks for the comfort of having Will's emergency kit put together for us! We love you!



One thing I learned is to make a list and keep by your emergency kits so you know what you need to grab and the order in which to grab them if you have time. That way you grab the essentials first.



The fire department was as usual amazing (thanks Clark and his buddies at the fire station) and they had the fire contained really quickly. Mike met us and we headed home after hanging out for a few hours with Ashley. Thank goodness for good friends! We love you guys!

2 comments:

luke and kourt said...

That's so scary, I saw that on the news! I didn't realize you were so close to the refinery. That's crazy, good thing you know what to do.

Alisha said...

When I heard this on the news I wondered how close you guys were to it. I'm glad everything is ok:)