Friday, May 02, 2008

What happened to my calendar!?


Anyone who has either worked or gone to school with me (or even tried to hang out) knows that my life is run through my outlook calendar. If it's not on there, I won't remember it and you will be enjoying a nice big burger at Squattersall by yourself! For some reason nobody told our child that!

So at 3:15 AM on April the 30th little William Garrett Scott decided he wanted to start his long trek out to see the world! I guess William didn't understand he was supposed to wait until June 1st to begin his quest. Jamie woke me a little while later around 5:00 AM to tell me we needed to go to the hospital because it appeared her water had broken. I will spare you a lot of the details involved, however; suffice it to say we both imagined we could just get this fixed and wait a few more weeks. Upon arrival and check in (me in my stellar Board Shorts & Flip Flops) they informed us that today we would be having a baby. Shock and awe are really the only words to describe it. We knew William had been developing well beyond what he was supposed to; but still 5 weeks early couldn't be good!

From 6:00 AM to about 12:30 PM Jamie endured a lot of pain as the doctors pumped her full of meds and her contractions began. A few hours later she finally received an epidural which was the best feeling I have ever experienced. I know it sounds bizarre but watching the love of your life writhe in such pain, and being completely worthless to help, nothing more than a place holder or a freshly misted fern, it really helped me. Jamie quickly went through all of the necessary steps and the doctor was alerted she was ready to go! After a few minutes of pushing William came out screaming and squirming about.

The nurses immediately took him away to be examined with my in accompaniment. He was doing awesome for 5 weeks early, but still was not perfect. After a few minutes his breathing was ok and we enjoyed seeing him, holding him, and playing with him. After being shuffled to our new room William's breathing worsened. We notified the nursery and they took him away to begin running tests. While anything I could experience pales to what my wife had just endured the ensuing hours were torturous. My wife unfortunately watched me weep uncontrollably for hours, unable to speak with a literal lump in my throat. I couldn't swallow. Jamie would ask what I was thinking and what was wrong, I could not speak because I would inevitably begin wailing! We decided to pray together and not a word left my mouth. For the first time in my life I literally could not speak. For a successful salesperson and arrogant son of gun, this is quite amazing! But such was my pain out of the fear of what awaited my son.

The longest night of my life was spent watching my wife recover and pacing outside the special needs nursery hoping my son would be fine. Luckily the cot was so comfy I slept plenty! When morning broke and our pediatrician arrived we had good news. William had fought hard to become self sufficient and had improved tremendously. He was nowhere near coming home with us but he was no longer in immediately danger as he had been. The remainder of the day we continued to check in on our little guy and watch in amazement as Jamie recovered with absolutely no medication. What woman endures labor and just asks for a single Alieve? I guess living with me for nearly four years has built up her resistance to pain!

Mommy and baby are doing well; dad's kind of in a daze but so happy things have turned out great!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea!!! William is SO beautiful! I can't wait to hold him! Kids have a crazy way of making you aware that they are the ones in charge, don't they. You guys will be awesome parents! Keep me posted on how he is doing. Love you both!