Jamie was not feeling well last night. So bad in fact that it had completely debilitated her. She could barely move around between all the aches, pains and headaches. Thus like a good heroic husband I charged in upon my noble steed and rescued her. Well my steed was actually equal amounts of sleep deprivation being supported by my intense male ego and illogical sense of joy of being a rescuer! Nonetheless it was my joy to take care of William all night.
Our readers may remember a previous post (On Daddy's Watch) in which I ran into a similar debacle. Will decided to up the ante this time. From 10:30 PM to 4:30 AM Will taunted and teased me with the idea that he may eventually sleep. We watched Harry Potter 1,2 & part of 3 together to pass the time. He would sleep for 15-30 minute intervals in his crib (we slept in the nursery so Jamie could rest), just enough time for his caretaker to just doze off before the bellows erupted. While this may sound a bit negative it was honestly just about the best time I have had in a long time (I'm an insurance broker remember; we don't have much fun). It started to become almost an enjoyable competition; who would last longest? In one corner we have the father with a decade's experience staying up to all hours of the night studying (or playing his geeky computer games) and then dragging his worthless carcass to work. In other a freshly minted bundle of energy who is gleaming with joy to be out of the hospital and ready to run a muck. Well my money was on experience... my money failed me.I stayed in the race pretty well until the 3:00 AM hour broke and Will was still toying with me. I kept dozing off as I rocked him in his rocking chair. We would bounce from rocker, to daddy snuggling with him on the floor (my bed), to the gentle-vibes mattress, and back to the baby bean pillow. Every fifteen minutes a new location. Everytime I thought I had the solution as he would doze off, then POW eyes wide open and he would call to me like the sirens to the sailors of old (except the naughty parts of course). Well around 4:00 AM I tossed in the towel and lucky for me Will decided to relent having won the match. I awoke at 5:45 AM with him reminding me it was time for food and drugs (ampiccilin). We took care of that and napped a tiny bit before asking Mom for some respite. As I stumbled back to the guest room Will couldn't help but give me this self-assured smug smile. Thank goodness Jamie is feeling better; my ego can't handle anymore of this.
5 years ago
5 comments:
This is why I love my husband soo much!
Actually Jamie loves me for my portable pillow (points to tummy)...
HELLO!!! I'm so glad you posted on my blog. I had NO idea you had a baby. Congrats! I read all your blog post and am all caught up on his condition. Glad to hear he is doing well.
Oooh you guys are so cute together and that little Will of yours... so cute!!! Sounds like he is a night owl like his great aunt(or whatever I am to him). Can't wait to see and hold him. You guys have done great getting through this trial in your lives!
I want a turn!
Post a Comment