Monday, June 30, 2008

Is there a Doctor in the house?

With all the hype and excitement of my brother-in-law graduating from Med school last Saturday, Mike and I decided we did NOT want to be left out of all the fun. I mean seriously who needs to go to school for however long it takes to be an ER Doc like Justin? Why not just keep admitting your little one and on the upside learn lots of really cool things? OK not particularly how anyone would want to learn I suppose, but we are finding ourselves highly knowledgeable these days (Mike is a cheater with a head start from interning in Pediatric Surgery.......no fair). All joking aside, congrats Justin! He is already an amazing Doctor! Besides with all the medical bills starting to roll in we are looking forward to all the free services :)

In the mean time here is what we are doing to try to keep with him y'all:

Every 6 hours we get to infuse Will's Ampicillin via his PICC line. It takes us about an hour from start to finish. We start by washing our hands (of course) and then sterilize and prep all of the needed items: 3 syringes (2 with saline, 1 with heparin), 1 ampicillin, 1 pump, alcholol pads, and sterile caps. Then we get to work. We start by flushing the line with saline to make sure it hasn't clotted over then we hook up the ampicillin and turn on the pump. It takes 35 minutes to infuse and so we sit and wait.......Will usually sleeps while we just sit........... Once it has finished infusing we flush the line again with salin and then flush with heparin so it doesn't clot. Then we sit back and relax for another 5 hours or so until we get to do it all over again!

Ok, so maybe we aren't particularly ready to be doctors anytime soon! Our small experience is plenty enough for us. We are just hoping Will stays out of the hospital in July, that will make it the first month of his little life WITHOUT being in an ICU. Keep your fingers crossed with us! And Will, lets NOT make it 4 months in a row. We are so grateful for such a tough little guy though (and a pretty tough Dad too)!

2 comments:

Chy said...

Jamie!!! How are you! I looks like you have a new little slice of heaven at your house, he is beautiful! It also looks like things have been a little CrAzY at your house... I'll keep you guys in my prayers. I'm sooo excited you found me, I'll be adding your cute little family to my blog:)

the heiner family said...

I actually got tired from READING that post! I can't imagine actually having to do all of that crap! And a note on the docs...I live by a bunch of them and live with Bret who knows just as much as they do(thank you 8 years of school!). And let me tell you...nothing beats a mother's instinct. I can almost always tell my pediatrician what is wrong with my kids and what they need when I go in. I think society just likes to make us jump thru hoops! Keep up the good work!