Saturday, June 21, 2008

And the diagnosis is........................

So after 2 CT scans, 2 spinal taps, a million blood tests and gases, chest x rays, right lung collapsing, too many d stats, a blood transfusion, a truckload of fluids, and being tubed and relying on a ventilator we are finally heading in the right direction! The official diagnosis is group b strep that some babies can get during delivery. During pregnancy you are usually tested for this before you go into labor so they know what to treat you with. Even though I had not been tested yet, during labor I was given several doses of penicillin that is suppose to treat it. Usually if a baby comes down with the virus it shows up shortly after birth, not 6 weeks later like in Will's case. Needless to say the doctors were a little confused. It is very scary because it often times turns into menangitus which we all know can be fatal. He also contracted a rare form of cellulitis on the right side of his neck that showed up at the same time just keep things interesting. All around he was just a really sick little boy so its no wonder his breathing shut down.
Good news though! He is responding really well to his treatments and looking a million times better. He is being treated with antibiotics and is not growing anything back in his cultures (this is good it means he is getting better)! He is also starting to pee like crazy which means his puffy body is slowly starting to decrease and he is looking more like himself again. They are starting to try and wean him off the ventilator and they have started to do spontaneous trials to see if he can sustain breathing on his own again. So far he is doing great and being such a tough boy! They are starting to cut down on the sedatives and they are no longer giving him the paralytic so he is starting to wake up more and move around.
We are so thankful to see glimpses of our little boy again and are excited for all the small things. It is so awesome to recognize his little movements and know that he is still there. We are so proud of him for being such a big boy!

5 comments:

Genessa said...

I am glad to see that they found out what was going on so they could move forward and start treating him. That is crazy about the strep B though. Thinking about you always.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I think that poor little boy will have had his fill of doctors. I hope he isn't too prejudice against Justin! I am SO SO SO glad to hear he is turning around. Thanks for the updates, I am sure it is the farthest thing from your mind but it is so comforting to hear what is going on. Give little Will a hug for me!

Alisha said...

I am so glad that they found out what was wrong and that your little soldier is responding so well to the treatments. I hope all continues to go well for your family:)

the heiner family said...

Man Jamie...for the first one, you are really being put thru the ringer! I swear it is not usually this hard, otherwise none of us would have more than one! Keep hanging in there!

Elisa said...

Wow, I guess I haven't checked your blog in awhile. I had no idea he was sick again! What a little trooper he is, and you guys to. My prayers are with you, and I hope he continues to grow stronger by the minute! How early was he born?