Friday, September 25, 2009

DC Day 3

I was so glad that Mike's Inc 500 Conference ended today. He finished up around 1:00pm and we were able to get back to playing!

We decided to leave The Gaylord National Hotel and move to a hotel closer to the Metro and downtown DC. It was sad driving away from our glamorous hotel but I was relieved to know we would be close to a metro stop and would be able to stop having to take taxi's to get around. In 2 1/2 days we spent over $175.00 and it sucked having to just throw away money like that!

On our way to our new hotel, The Hilton Washington DC/Rockville, we were surprised to drive past the Washington DC temple.

It was so gorgeous and such a wonderful surprise!

We finally got to The Hilton and were very relieved it was pretty nice and clean, and it was directly across the street from a Metro stop. We headed to the front desk to check in. For some reason the clerk was having a hard time finding our reservation. I started to get a little worried but found my itinerary and she checked using our confirmation number. Ta-da! She found our reservation, with one slight problem, it was booked for the previous weekend!

If you know me at all, you know how O.C.D. I am with certain things. One of those things is DOUBLE CHECKING the dates a million times when I make reservations. Sadly I somehow made one of the most expensive mistakes ever and booked our hotel for the wrong dates :( Since I booked it through a second party Travelocity there was nothing Hilton could do for us. Even though Travelocity had already charged us for the 3 nights, Hilton received no money so we had to take it up with Travelocity. I immediately called and got the run around from Travelocity. They said they paid Hilton so Hilton had to refund our money. Arrrg! So back to the front desk we head and guess what, nope, Travelocity has to pay us back! So we book new reservation, pay a lot more (even though they gave us a discount), and we call Mike's mom to see if she would mind working with Travelocity for us. Luckily Stacy accepted this horrible favor and we were able to go on with our day trying not to stress about it.

Since most of our day was gone we decided to walk around and see all of the monuments. It was so fun to get to see everything in person!




The Reflecting Pool, with Lincoln Monument in the back:


Standing on Lincoln Monument, with The Reflecting Pool, and Washington Monument in the back:

It was so huge!


From the top of Lincoln Monument looking East:
We walked around the back side of Lincoln Monument and found an awesome view looking West to The Arlington National Cemetery.
Then we walked back around and headed to the Korean War Veterans Memorial:

I loved this one. It was so thought provoking for me and every detail on the statues was accounted for. I found it very interesting that the last solider (in the far back right corner of the pic) is looking behind him, as if he is checking if anyone is following them. It kinda puts it in perspective of the fear and constant worry soldiers are faced with.

Then we went to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial:
It was so neat to be able to feel of honor in each of these places. Its something you can't really explain, you just need to experience.

We then headed over to The International Spy Museum where we participated in Spy at Night, which is an awesome interactive spy game. We got to act like spy's and even had a secret identity, it was awesome! We also learned that Mike would be a really good spy, Jame not so much! We had so much fun!


To finish up our night we headed over to The State Capital:

I am loving Washington DC and getting to see everything! I am still nervous about getting things worked out with Travelocity but I am trying hard to just enjoy it here and not think about the $350 mistake, yikes!

0 comments: