Yep, 3 refinery fires in the 2 years we have lived in our house. SCARY! I really wish we would have realized we were buying a home right next to the refineries. LESSON LEARNED!
The Silver Eagle Refinery had another explosion today but this time I actually heard it and felt it. It was so insane and scary. I was in the kitchen when all of sudden I heard a really loud boom and shake, then the power went out. It was so loud that I looked in the garage to see if something fell. Since the Holly Refinery wasn't announcing an emergency on their PA system I wasn't getting too worried. I noticed that one of the smoke stacks at Holly had a really big flame and dark black smoke (which is pretty unusual) so I jumped on Facebook to check things out. There I found this pic from one of my friends on the East bench in Bountiful:
I found out that the Silver Eagle Refinery had an explosion and decided to head to Brent & Stacy's just to be safe. I got Will and Bella loaded up and headed to West Jordan. On the way I could see the dark black smoke from Silver Eagle and the story was all over the radio. About half way to West Jordan Ashley called me (her hubby is a fire fighter) and let me know that the fire was contained and they were just waiting for it to burn out.
I spent a few hours at Brent & Stacy's and then headed home. I did learn that the reason Holly's smoke stack had such a big flame was that when 1 of the 3 local refineries has an emergency the other 2 do an after burn to get rid of everything they can 'just in case'. So I guess whenever I see the smoke stack shoot up I am going to take of running to the in-laws!
Everyone in my neighborhood heard and felt the explosion but luckily none of the house's in our area were affected. But the neighborhood South of us (the closest to the Silver Eagle Refinery) was not so lucky.


Seriously so scary. Pretty much every house in the neighborhood had some type of damage. I am so glad no one was hurt and so thankful our home was safe and protected. The funny thing is that we all received a letter in the mail today inviting us to a 'Safety Meeting' to discuss the last fire the refinery had. Ha ha, something tells me the meeting is going to be packed!
5 years ago
1 comments:
I'm so glad your house didn't have any damage:)
Post a Comment