Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Cerberus

Mythology has always been a great interest of mine. I love the stories, the symbolism and noticing artifacts of these stories in our modern society. In Greek Mythology Cerberus was the guardian of the gates to the underworld. Today we view underworld as meaning hell, however to the Greeks it was simply the afterlife. Heaven and hell existed in the same realm; just those living in hell couldn't enter heaven; however those in heaven could pass through hell and even had to in order to reach heaven.

As I was taking pictures of William our ferocious hound Bella decided she needed to guard her family. Somehow I must have appeared like a threat (must've been the extra slice of pizza). As she snarled and growled at me I was able to capture this humorous moment which I just had to share. Only afterwards did I think about Cerberus and how to some extent this picture does represent that entire process. Our little guy has had to pass through hell to once again be held in the loving arms of his mother. This I would say is the closest thing to heaven in this boy’s life right now. In reality it's the closest thing Jamie and I have to heaven as well.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Funny! I put mythology on my 20 interesting facts blog entry. I didn't know you was fascinated by the subject as well! Intriging eh? Ferocious-Whew! I'd say with those fangs!!! Have a question for you, check your email. Love you guys!

SherRon said...

What a ferociouus gaurd dog you have. Glad to see Will is doing so well. Check out my blog pets are so fun.